Lion Air to Set Up Budget Carrier in Malaysia

11 , 2012 | Source: The Jakarta Globe

Indonesia’s Lion Air will set up a low-cost airline in Malaysia that will take off in May 2013 as part of an aggressive regional expansion.

The move will see Lion Air, which controls nearly half the air travel market in Indonesia, playing catch-up to the region’s top budget carrier AirAsia. It follows AirAsia’s recent acquisition of Batavia Air in a bid to tap Indonesia’s 230 million population.

Lion Air will own 49 percent of the new airline, Malindo Airways, and Malaysia’s National Aerospace and Defense Industries the remaining 51 percent.

Lion Air President Rusdi Kirana says Malindo Airways will start flying between the two countries with a fleet of 12 Boeing 737 planes in May, before expanding to other cities in Southeast Asia.
 

 

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has invited business persons from the United States to capitalize on opportunities in Southeast Asian nations, especially Indonesia.
The President of Indonesia Joko Widodo has been named as the Straits Times Asian of the Year 2019, the Singapore-based newspaper announced in a written statement received here on Thursday.
The Ministry of Trade through the Directorate General of National Export Development (PEN) will hold the 4th Good Design Indonesia, an award for best design product, in 2020. The competition becomes the real support of the Ministry of Trade in motivating and encouraging businesses to develop design-oriented Indonesian products in the global market.
President of Senegal, Macky Sall, commended Indonesia′s role in supporting infrastructure development in his country through the plans to build the multifunctional building, Tower of Goree (Tour de Goree), and the sale of CN-235 aircraft.
Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment Affairs Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan while visiting the headquarters of Volkswagen (VW) in Hannover, Germany, invited he automotive company to produce electric vehicles in Indonesia.
Communication and Informatics Minister Johnny G. Plate affirmed that digital infrastructure development in Indonesia aims to support national interests, including during an emergency scenario.
Address: 1068 Budapest, Városligeti fasor 26. | MAP |
Phone: (+36-1) 413 3800 Fax: (+36-1) 322 8669
E-mail: embassy@indonesianembassy.hu